CW

CW

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Before Watchmen: Minutemen #3

story & art by Darwyn



The Before Watchmen minis have been hit or miss.  For me there has been no in-between.  They are either really good or they're not.  I knew I would like Minutemen going into it.  What I didn't know that it would be one of my favorites.  I'm not terribly familiar with Darwyn Cooke's work save for the opening titles of Batman Beyond and the animated adaptation of The New Frontier (I do own the comic - I just haven't gotten around to it!)  Something in me knew the Cooke was the right man for the job when it came to this mini.  And I was right!

The story once again focuses on Hollis Mason and his recount of the adventures of the Minutemen.  This time the story is post-Comedian-attempted-rape.  Now I don't know about the rest of you but Azzarello's Comedian mini has seriously disappointed me.  In this issue Cooke proved to me that he was (surprisingly) more adept to writing the Comedian.  And of course the Hollis Mason story mixed with his attraction to Silhouette is really interesting story-telling.  I also love the beats of Dollar Bill being a homophobe.  It seems to fit the time period as well as still speak to the world we live in today.  That's always been what Cooke has been good at.


Rating:

Four Ghost Girls out of Five



No comments:

Post a Comment