CW

CW

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Green Lantern #0

written by Geoff Johns    pencils by Dough Mahnke


Not a lot of Green Lantern in this issue for a book called Green Lantern.  But guess what?  I don't care :)

Meet Simon Baz!  The newest recruit to the Green Lantern Corps.  Although he is not chosen by conventional standards.  It's as if he's chosen in "ERROR". Ha ha!  You see what I did there? 

This was a very off kilter book for the normal Geoff Johns popcorn crazy fun stuff.  But that's not to say it was bad!  Quite the contrary it was a great breather from the previous Green Lanterns that pulled no punches (especially the Annual).  No this issue reads like a #1 to a brand new comic.  It makes me remember why I love comic books in the first place. 

Much like Bendis's work with Miles Morales on Ultimate Spider-Man this is a chance for Johns to take an established name and really have no holds barred fun with it. Baz is a character that isn't a bad guy but unfortunately given his race he'll always be perceived as the enemy.  That strikes a very true note with today's soceity and our own prejudices.  While a lot of people will argue with me and say that those biases are gone they are dead wrong.  All they really need to do is open their eyes and see that the world is filled with hate, racism, and fear.  It's not justified, it's not right, but it's there.  I like that Johns called attention to it here.  Like I said it was something more along the lines what Bendis would do but Johns handled it well here. 

I don't know much about Baz yet but I have a feeling he's here to stay.  (I feel that way cuz he's gonna be in JLA next year and Trinity War . . . but I also just FEEL IT!)

Rating:

Five Giant (Somehow Unnoticed) Bombs out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment