CW

CW

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Animal Man #0

written by Jeff Lemire      art by Steve Pugh


Like Swamp Thing, Animal Man is another New 52 title that surprised me in a very good way.  Although I admit I got into the game a little late.  And by a little late I mean the first issue I bought was #12.  Sorry Mr Lemire!  You sure know how to kick some butt while telling a truly . . . well weird is the only way to describe it.

Much like Swampy Zero this story doesn't tell the origin of Buddy Baker but it does give us the origin of his role as the Protector (albeit temporary) of the Red.  I didn't really know the origin of Buddy and how he got his powers.  It's left intact (kind of) but Lemire doesn't mind twisting it to his liking to fit into the new DCU.  Fine by me :)

Some artists are perfectly suited for the comics they draw.  Steve Pugh is one of those artists.  He captures Buddy, the Red, the Bakers, and even the Rot perfectly.  Pugh and Lemire work seemlessly together.  It's the best compliment you can give a comic book where you can't tell where the writing begins and the art ends.  I believe Animal Man is one of those books.



Rating:

Five Newspaper Headlines out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment