CW

CW

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Detective Comics #0

written by Gregg Hurwitz       pencils by Tony Daniel  (featuring additional art by Pere Perez . . . for some reason)

back up written by James Tynion IV       pencils by Henrik Jonsson   (not mentioned on the cover . . . for some reason)


I'll just say it - of all the Bat-titles I began with I was most disappointed with Detective.  I was not a big fan of Tony Daniel's writing.  I always loved his art but the writing and art both took a turn for the worse after the Dollmaker arc.  I liked the Dollmaker arc but after awhile Daniel did what he always did; introduced too many new concepts with no pay off.  It's a tough skill.  It's one he learned from Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison.  Johns is good at it because he tells a complete story while slowly bringing in new concepts and ideas for the mythology.  Morrison is good at it cuz he's kinda crazy and it all fits together somewhere (even if takes 7 years to get there).

Hurwitz is a decent enough writer.  I'm certainly loving his work on Dark Knight.  Here he gets to craft a new tale of Bruce Wayne pre-Batman.  Not only pre-Batman but even before his return to Gotham City.  It tells the tale of Bruce's Final Lesson.  Helluva lesson!  Death, tragedy, and twists have plagued Bruce Wayne his whole life.  Wayne's story is often tragic and Hurwitz reminds us of that here. 

Ah Tony . . . Tony Tony Tony . . . ah great now I have Billy Idol's Mony Mony stuck in my head!  Oh well it's a good song.  Anyway, Daniel's art here feels so subpar compared to his work on Teen Titans and Batman RIP.  He still draws a mean Bruce Wayne but it's just not as good as it used to be . . . Oh well.

The backup was actually the highlight of the issue for me.  Tynion is an up and coming writer that is clearly going to make a name for himself at DC Comics.  And the pencils by Henrik are very good.  Not great but I sense he is preparing himself for bigger and better things.  Let's hope he gets it :)

Rating:

3 Inherited Watches out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment