CW

CW

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Batman #0

written by Scott Snyder    pencils by Greg Capullo

back up written by James Tynion IV   art by Andy Clarke


I really like origin stories.  I especially like origin stories with interesting twists.  Comic books seem to have those in spades and Zero Month is fully capitolizing on that. 

I'm going to make a complaint but it's not a bad complaint so just bare with me here.  Snyder has been quoted as saying that Batman #0 takes place in "the shadows of Year One".  To Snyder I say, "Buddy who are you kidding?"  Year One was a low tech, bare fisted, down to Earth version of Batman.  This is Scott Snyder telling a good chapter in Bruce Wayne's life.  We get to see a pre-Joker fighting a pre-Batman (nice touch I loved it), Gordon looking younger and healthier, and no Batman.  No Batman, no Robin, no Joker and somehow it still manages to be a great story with Batman on the cover.

I think if Snyder is gonna tell us that Year One is still canon than a couple things need to be explained - James Jr is a baby but five years later is in his early twenties?
- Barbara Gordon is Jim Gordon's niece but now his biological daughter?
- Bruce Wayne confronted the Red Hood Gang even tho the Red Hood was always one person in a gang switching the helmet to avoid suspicion?

I'm not trying to talk down to Scott (whom I love and has done incredible work with my favorite character) I'm just going to believe that Year One was a fantastic origin for Bruce preNew 52 but now it's time for an update and Snyder is the right man for the job.  And Capullo has proven to me that he can draw Batman's world even without Batman existing in it :)

Five Awesome Fucking Motorcycles out of Five

BackUp:

Honestly this is the story I've been waiting for since the announcement of the new 52 Batman universe.  We finally get to see how all three Robins can co-exist (which let's be fair NEVER made sense EVER before) and Batgirl within 5 years.  Funnily enough one of my favorite origins of the new 52 is now the origin of the Batsignal and how it inspired 3 Robins, a Batgirl, and Gotham City :)


No comments:

Post a Comment