CW

CW

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Batgirl #0

written by Gail Simone    art by Ed Benes


Ok! Wow!  Just wow!  Best. Batgirl. Origin. Ever! Wonderful character study of Barbara Gordon.  The bits with James Jr were ominous and downright creepy (as they should be).  It starts off with Barbara just trying to succeed in her college class but ends with her life changing forever.  That's the way it goes in Gotham City isn't it? 

I've never really been a fan of Barbara Gordon as Batgirl.  Not really in a bad way she just never interested me.  When I got into comics she was already Oracle and kicking ass in cyberspace at that.  I was a huge fan of Bryan Q Miller's Batgirl run prenew 52.  I'm happy to say that with every issue Gail Simone makes me fall in love more and more with Babs. 

As I've said before this comic is great because there is a natural rhythm of writing and art.  The two are inseparable and makes for a great, great comic.  Between the raid on Police HQ and Babs makeshift Bat-costume I was hooked.  The main highlights of the book include Batman's appearance and Babs's reaction to him, the two page montage of her adventures as Batgirl (more of that please Ms Gail if ya don't mind), the cameo of Dick's new 52 Robin costume (hopefully more of that to come in Nightwing #0 next week!!), and that last panel that sets up her confrontation with the Joker in the coming months. 

I really couldn't have asked for a better comic.  As far as origins go, Barbara gets one of the best!  And Ed Benes better be locked into Batgirl for the next like decade!!!

Rating:

Five Jim Gordon News Headlines out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment