CW

CW

Monday, June 15, 2015

BATMAN BEGINS: 10 YEARS LATER - A COMIC JUNKIE'S RETROSPECTIVE


I will never forget the hype for Batman Begins. The movie was sold on the idea that it was going to be a completely different Batman film than we had seen before. Many were skeptical. Some were excited. Me? I KNEW we were in for a treat. Batman has always been my favorite character in any medium. I like the idea of a man shrouded in darkness but he brings hope and inspires courage to the world around him. I loved the original films growing up and Batman: the Animated Series. Before this movie came out the new cartoon was The Batman. Despite it being a little campier than the original series I still enjoyed it. However, there's something about seeing Batman on the big screen that gets me more excited than anything in the entire world.

My makeshift Batman costume from New York Comic Con 2014

Way back in 2005 there was no YouTube, the internet was still mostly dial up (at least in my house), and very few reliable comic book sites. My source for all news regarding Batman pretty much came from batman-on-film.com. The guy who runs that site, Jett, kept his information strictly to official stuff and non-spoilers. I checked his site every single day from when Christopher Nolan was announced as director, to the casting, filming progress, official press releases, and finally the film's release. I was so excited for this movie. The summer of 2005 was going to be incredible. And man oh man . . . I was not disappointed


I've never told anyone this but after the film I went home and cried a little. It was the perfect Batman movie. Better than that, it was the perfect Bruce Wayne story. We got to see Bruce's motivation, his anger, his fears, his hopes, and his demons. Villains like the Scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghul (two of my favorites) finally got to make their live action debut. The casting was pitch perfect. Gary Oldman was perfect as Gordon (which shocked the hell out of me). Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox was great and added legitimacy to a previously underused and, frankly, underwhelming character. Liam Neeson as Ducard/Ra's Al Ghul was exactly as he should have been. Fatherly, supportive, and then, once betrayed, evil as hell! I mean, I could go on and on about this film and how perfect it is. 


And then there's the man himself - Christian Bale. He was/is Bruce Wayne to me. I mean he nailed it. From the young, angry Bruce to the older, more mature Wayne that became the Dark Knight. People get all up in arms about the voice but the performance was pitch perfect. Ben Affleck has a tough act to follow. 

Argo fuck yourself. I'm Batman now!

Anything and everything Batman Begins related I gobbled up that summer. Action figures, posters, magazines, you name it, I either owned it or coveted thy neighbor that owned it . . . Ok so it wasn't that bad! But still . . . I had a lot of Batman Begins stuff.


I saw the film 5 times in the movie theater. Every time I loved it more than the last. I've always said that the film has a great pace. It's equal parts exciting and interesting. Nolan brought his indie-film sensibilities to a big budget blockbuster and it paid off in spades. Batman Begins now serves as the template for how to do a successful superhero film. 10 years later and the film still stands up. It started one of the greatest film trilogies of all time and will always have a special place in my heart. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to watch it for the 40th time . . . 


Till Next Time!


JJ - The Comic Junkie! 

No comments:

Post a Comment