CW

CW

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

NOSTALGIC CASTING CHOICES

Whoever is making these casting decisions on the superhero TV shows I have one question - HOW DID YOU GET INSIDE MY HEAD?? HOW??????

Ok so that was two questions. Also came out a lot harsher than I intended . . . Truth is that I love the nostalgic casting choices being done on the recent superhero TV shows. From the original Flash playing Flash's dad to former Superman playing Supergirl's adopted dad (we think) it's all pretty awesome. I love it. It's the kind of thing I would do if I was casting one of these shows.

"Hey what if we got Dean Cain to be in our Supergirl show?" JJ asked.
"Dude . . . That's brilliant!" JJ replied.

See in that scenario I was imagining myself as a producer of the upcoming Supergirl TV show. In case that little glimpse into my geeky mind wasn't clear. So this got me thinking . . . Let's keep it going! Here are my suggestions for further cameos that should totally be done on the current comic book shows:



DANNY DEVITO

Now come on. This would be awesome! I've read that Danny is a big fan of Robin Lord Taylor's performance on the show. Plus Danny was awesome as the Penguin. I know Batman Returns has its critics, and I get it, but Danny's portrayal of the Penguin remains my favorite interpretation to this day. He was evil, slimy, and just a tiny bit wacko. I'd love to see Danny guest star on Gotham maybe as Oswald's father (we've never met him or heard much about him). Maybe he could play another Gotham gangster moving in on Don Falcone's turf. Either way, I think it would be awesome if he showed up in some capacity. 

MICHELLE PFEIFFER

Here's another no brainer. Pfeiffer was amazing as Selina Kyle/Catwoman. It's another case where we haven't met Selina's mom on Gotham yet, and the young actress playing Kyle and Pfeiffer do kind of look alike. But Pfeiffer doesn't have to be Selina's mom or any type of relative. She could play any variety of characters either from the comics or an original character that has some sort of interaction with Selina, Bruce, or Gordon. 

MICHAEL KEATON 

To me, this would be the equivalent of Christopher Reeve guest starring on Smallville. That was a great episode (more on that in a later post). What role could Keaton play? Well, he probably won't be playing Bruce's father (cuz he's already been cast and killed off BOO YA!). He could play a long lost Wayne. Maybe he could be another gangster. Or maybe he could play Jim Gordon's dad in flashbacks (since they've confirmed Gordon's dad is dead in the series). Either way, I will campaign for Keaton to guest star on the show if it's the last thing I do! Or at least until the show is off the air . . . whichever comes first . . . 

Now I could go on and on and on about former Bat-stars that I think should be on the series but instead I will move on. I picked these three because of their ties to the three main characters on the show. 



MICHAEL ROSENBAUM 

It's not really a long shot, but it's also somewhat unlikely. Rosenbaum was the voice of the Flash in Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, and the animated film Justice League: Doom. For a generation, he was the Flash. That does include me. Justice League was my first exposure to the Flash. I didn't exactly fall in love with the character then (we can thank Geoff Johns for that) but it did pique my interest. Plus, Rosenbaum has the added geek cred of playing Lex Luthor for seven years on Smallville. I think it would be great if he came on the show to play a new villain or maybe even a Lex-type villain on the series. Maybe he'll have an extended role like Brandon Routh's on Smallville. Either way, I think Rosenbaum should definitely guest star.

ALEXIS DENISOF

Denisof played the Mirror Master on an episode of Justice League Unlimited and the animated Justice League: Doom film. I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that the Mirror Master has yet to be cast / make an appearance (pun intended) and Denisof would be a great choice. Not only does he have the experience but he's also a very talented actor. He kind of looks like the Mirror Master too. That's always a plus when casting a comic book show/movie (although not a prerequisite). Maybe if my "The Rogues become the main antagonists of season 2" theory comes true then Denisof will get his shot at a live action Mirror Master. The Mirror Master will definitely be on the Flash soon, I'm sure, and my recommendation is Denisof. After all, Mark Hamill played the Trickster on the original Flash series and then voiced him on Justice League Unlimited. Why not have it go the other way? 

KYLE GALLNER

Kyle played Bart Allen/Impulse on a few episodes of Smallville. He was the first superhero to guest star on the show (and started a trend) and when he came back he was apart of Green Arrow's proto-type Justice League. He never became the Flash on the show, he stayed Impulse (in keeping with the comics). He was a great addition to the cast and added some much needed fun to Clark's life. I think it would be great if he played a similar role on the Flash. Granted, Barry doesn't have a problem having fun with his powers, but maybe he could still give Barry a kick in the pants in some way. Or maybe he'll play Inertia, the evil Impulse from the future. Hey . . . stranger things have happened. 



JUSTIN HARTLEY 

For several years on Smallville, Hartley was Oliver Queen/Green Arrow. There were rumors of a spin off after that show ended but we ended up getting Arrow instead.

They didn't fail that city

Hartley should definitely play some sort of role on Arrow. I think he's on another TV show now, but I'm sure the schedules could get worked out. It would be cool to see him guest star in one of the flashbacks. Maybe he'll help Oliver with his archery training. Maybe he'll be a villain during a season four episode. Maybe he'll play another hero . . . Who knows? All I know is, I want Justin Hartley on Arrow

ALAINA HUFFMAN

Wow JJ! There sure are a lot of Smallville actors on this list! Well . . . that's because I love Smallville and many of those actors played the first ever live action versions of my favorite superheroes. A few years ago I got to meet Ms. Huffman and she was delightful. We talked a lot about Black Canary coming back to Smallville and ending up with Oliver. But it never happened. 

Needless to say, it worked out for her in the end

Still, it would be pretty sweet to see her come to Starling City as a new love interest for Oliver (you know, to get back at Smallville's Oliver). Or maybe she can be something else. After all, she doesn't need to define her career by being Oliver Queen's girlfriend! Well I dunno what else she could do! I just think it would be cool to see her on Arrow . . . That's all . . . 

These are my suggestions for actors I want to come back to superhero TV. But why didn't I mention Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. you may be asking yourself. Well . . . Simply put there are six guest stars I want on the show:

These motherfuckers . . . 

S.H.I.E.L.D. is a little different where they don't have much nostalgia to pull from (there was no previous S.H.I.E.L.D. TV series or Avengers show) but they are connected to the Marvel films. If any of them were to guest star it should definitely be Scarlett Johannsen and/or Jeremy Renner. They were (are? it's still not 100% clear) S.H.I.E.L.D. agents and they've been name dropped several times on the show. Maybe we'll get to see them on the show just like we've seen Samuel L. Jackson and Cobie Smulders. That would be sweet . . . 

Till Next Time!


JJ - The Comic Junkie!

No comments:

Post a Comment