CW

CW

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

MY COMIC CON THEME SONGS

Here is something you may not know about me - I'm a weird fucking guy. I'm serious! I can eat an entire jar of pickles in one sitting (though don't use the bathroom after me if you see me do it). I will eat an entire bottle of mustard without it ever touching a sandwich. I will drink Italian Dressing like other men might drink scotch . . . Sigh . . . I'm probably just losing readers just by saying these things.

Here! Look at my beautiful face and remember why you loved me to begin with!

But that's not the strangest thing about me! No sir! Well . . . the pickles thing is pretty bad  . . . Anyway! I have a playlist that I make every year that I go to New York Comic Con and it's not made up of the songs that you'd think.


Well, yes that song is on there. In fact I have several different versions of the Batman theme. Danny Elfman, the 60's series, the animated series from the 70's, the Dark Knight version, oh my the list goes on . . . 

On my playlist you'll find the likes of John Williams (Superman, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter), Danny Elfman (Batman, Nightmare Before Christmas, Spider-Man), Hans Zimmer (Amazing Spider-Man 2, the Dark Knight, Spider-Pig) and so on and so forth. (total sausage fest!) 

But other songs? Well I've included the essential "New York" songs like Empire State of Mind, I Love New York, I Run NY (Lonely Island - it's hilarious), etc. But there are a select few that remind me of Comic Con in some way or another. Whether it's because I just happened to get into them around the time I went to NYCC or possibly I got into during the event or even I heard it at the convention and it led to an awesome day (you won't believe it when I tell you). So here it is: 

JJ'S COMIC CON THEME SONGS:

DAUGHTRY - IT'S NOT OVER

Weird story behind this one. The very first year I went to NYCC was in 2007. On the bus, I was listening to the Goo Goo Dolls on my Discman (it was a dark time - pre mp3) and I kept thinking I wish that I had the Daughtry CD. I was a huge fan of that song It's Not Over from the radio and I wanted the CD. I don't remember if I just hadn't bought it or if it hadn't come out yet but I wanted to listen to it. Either way, I had a lot of fun at the show but when I got home I bought that CD and listened to it all the time. Now when I listen to it, it reminds me of the time right after Comic Con and during Comic Con. Little strange, but music has always had this weird effect on me. It makes me think of the past but not always when I first heard the song. Maybe that's normal but it feels weird to me.  I still like that feeling though . . . 

THE LONELY ISLAND feat. MICHAEL BOLTON - JACK SPARROW

This one is a case where I didn't first hear it at Comic Con, but rather it took on new meaning during Comic Con. I first heard it at a party I had at my apartment with some friends from North Carolina. They recommended watching the music video on YouTube. I was blown away. It was so funny and amazing I couldn't stop laughing. Well, when I met up with my sister in NYC at the hotel before Comic Con I said, "You've gotta watch this!" We watched it and she loved it! That weekend, one of the things we talked most about was this song/video. We would listen to the song in line (jeez those fucking lines at Comic Con!) and just laugh about it every time like it was the first time we ever heard it. To this day, it's still something we talk about and laugh about. Dare I say . . . This song brought us closer together . . . HAHAHA! Not really, we were always close. But you know . . . we had something new to talk about. 

 NICKI MINAJ - SUPER BASS

Yes. This song. This song reminds me of Comic Con. I don't even really know why. I think this is more of a case of "I heard it during the trip." But you know what? I love this song. It's dumb as hell and the music video kind of proves that Nicki Minaj is a slut and not a talented dancer (like at all) but it's catchy and fun to listen to. Also, I like singing along. That year we met Mark Hamill at Comic Con. I very much wanted to tell him he was slicker than the guy with the thing on his eye. But unlike the song no I didn't, no I didn't.

TEGAN AND SARA - ARROW 

If you've ever read this blog then you will know my love of Arrow. Between the awesomeness of the show to Stephen Amell being a genuine awesome dude in real life, my love for Arrow knows no bounds.

He touched me!

Well, one night I was so excited about the Flash and Arrow that I looked both those terms up on iTunes, and really, who hasn't? I found the theme song from Arrow, Flash by Queen from the Flash Gordon movie (which reminds me more of Ted than the Flash), and the Tegan and Sara song Arrow. I previewed it and instantly fell in love with it. It was such a sweet song, and like all Tegan and Sara songs, really made me smile and want to sing along. I mean, not all their songs are so happy or upbeat(ish) but Arrow was a cool song. I tried to share it on Stephen Amell's Facebook page but I don't think he's listened to it. Oh well, back to mailing him digital copies of it along with strands of my hair . . . I MEAN  . . . 

STYX - TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS

This is really just a case of "I heard it on the bus and it struck me the right way." Yeah, super exciting story. I was on the bus on the way to NYC and this song came on through the shuffle (post-Discman - the dark days were over). I downloaded it, but didn't remember why (probably drunk downloaded) but listening to it on the bus ride made me smile and get excited for my vacation. Every time I listen to this song now I think of my bus ride to NYC, which granted is not the best place to be, but thinking of the destination gets me excited and reminds me of all the fun I'm gonna have . . . standing in line and waiting to see my favorite comic book writers/artists for a couple minutes . . . Wow . . . Comic Con sucks! Just kidding, it's always worth it, because there is a ton of stuff to do! Like listen to classic rock! 

So . . . Here's the thing. You'll never guess what my #1 Comic Con theme song is. You really never will. Unless you skipped ahead and looked at the pictures before reading this whole post. But here it is:

ENRIQUE IGLESIAS feat PITBULL - I LIKE IT

Yes. This one. Can you believe it? I'm pretty sure it's from the fucking Jersey Shore soundtrack. I mean . . . Seriously JJ??? HAHAHA! Alright shut up! I'm gonna tell you the story!

I went to NYCC in 2007 and 2008 but both times I went because I wanted to go to Comic Con and have a mini-vacation in NYC (one of my favorite places to vacation). I missed 2009 but I was really excited to go in 2010. By then, I had gotten into MANY different superhero comics. Also, I learned that comic book artists and writers would actually sign the comics for you. I don't know why I didn't know this in my previous visits but I knew it now and brought a whole bunch to get signed. Well, the show was that Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. On Friday I went to the show but I ended up getting really sick and had to go back to my friend's apartment to sleep off a terrible headache. It was a horrible experience. I still had fun, but I'll admit it was kind of ruined by my headache. The next day was Saturday and I was determined to have a much better experience. Well, when I got there I made up a list of things I wanted to do and people I wanted to see. My first stop was the Marvel booth and THIS SONG was playing there. I thought that was kind of funny. I liked that song a lot from the radio and I had downloaded it on my iPod. It was catchy and fun. Suddenly, it became my Comic Con theme song. 

When I got on the bus to go home, I put this song on and all I could think about was Comic Con. I texted my sisters and friends and bragged about how much fun I had. I went on and on about how I met Geoff Johns, Jeph Loeb (lotta "Jeffs"), J. Michael Strazynski, James Marsters, Alaina Huffman, Ivan Reis, Joe Prado, Shane Davis (google these names if you don't know them). I was on Cloud 9. I listened to this song on repeat for a good long while just smiling and laughing about my awesome time at NYCC. I met new friends, had new experiences, and best of all, made memories that make me smile no matter what I have going on in life. 

So you see? Music is a funny thing. It can remind us of good times and bad times. Sometimes music can even make us think of the strangest things. These songs are ALWAYS on my Comic Con playlist when I go back to NYCC. In fact, I'm listening to them now. And the Ghostbusters theme song. Because you know . . . That song kicks major ass.


Till Next Time!


JJ - The Comic Junkie! 

No comments:

Post a Comment