CW

CW

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

JJ Reacts To:

THE SCREAM 4 TEASER PREVIEW

I'm a big fan of the original Scream movies.  The first movie scared the beejezus out of me.  And worse I saw it on TV!  Haha, but seriously the first movie was really scary because it seemed so real.  The second one was good too.  The third was kinda meh but I still enjoyed it.  Scream was the first scary movie I felt was actually a good movie and fun to watch over and over again.  It was not afraid to admit the slight absurdity of the situation and compare itself to other movies and such.  Plus who knew that Courtney Cox could be such a bitch? 

When I first heard they were doing a Scream 4 I was like, "Yeah, yeah whatever."  Then they said Kevin Williamson, the original writer was doing the script.  Then Wes Craven said he would be back.  Then the original cast of Cox, David Arquette, and even Neve Campbell said they would return.  My interest was peaked.  But no, they can't top the first one right?  As a rule most horror movies lose their appeal after the first.  It's just hard to scare people the same way twice.  Or whatever.  I dunno, most horror sequels . . . how can I put this delicately?  Most horror sequels blow!  But if the original cast and crew was willing to get together after ten years since the last movie then maybe there was hope!

Except Scream was a trilogy!  By definition it ends at three!  What the hell are they thinking?  "We're working on a new trilogy?"  As far as I know that is unheard of in the horror genre.  Will it work?  Is it going to be successful?  Only time will tell . . .

When I heard that the first teaser preview would be shown during the Scream Awards I made a note to watch it.  I very much enjoyed the preview.  Now, that could be just it.  Maybe it will not live up to the hype.  But, much like the original Scream, the movie seems to recognize that it is in a different time and its audience has certain expectations.  So . . . they seem to be on the right track . . . But that does not mean the movie will be good.  However, I digress.  That is not what this post is about.  I'm excited to see this movie and I think it will be good.  I'm excited to see how it's handled and if the original cast can survive another brush with Ghostface or maybe the killer is one of them??

No comments:

Post a Comment