CW

CW

Friday, August 27, 2010

Batman # 700 - 702

written by Grant Morrison with art by Tony Daniel, Frank Quitely, David Finch, and Andy Kubert


Nowadays when I hear the words, "Grant Morrison writing Batman" I get very excited.  But I have to remember to put my thinking cap on.  Morrison does not write for the small minded.  I personally think that the best artist to cater to his unique style is Frank Quitely.  But then again, you can't quite imagine RIP being drawn by anyone else.  I'm getting off track - back on topic!

#700 is a milestone issue so naturally DC wants it to be something special.  Getting four amazing artists and one amazing write will make it quite special indeed. "Time and the Batman".  Interesting concept given Bruce Wayne's recent tour of history via Darkseid's Omega Sanction set to 1.21 jigawatts.  We get to have three different but intertwined Batman stories with Bruce Wayne, Dick Grayson, and Damien Wayne all donning the cape and cowl.  Also a cool cameo by Terry McGinnis as Batman Beyond. 

# 701 and 702 did not really impress me at first.  I'm all for "filling in the blanks" which was the attempt here by DC.  You learn what happened to Bruce in between RIP and Final Crisis.  At first I felt like, "Yeah we know all this already, what's the big deal?"  Then I realized, we don't know everything.  Morrison is simply giving us an insight into the thought process of Bruce Wayne.  Bruce is a very smart man.  He is basically unbeatable.  In these issues we see him needing to stop and breathe just like the rest of us.  This issue made me wonder if Bruce could have possibly prepared for this mission.  Somehow, he is ready and takes on a god of evil with a smirk and a "Gotcha."  Hell yes if you ask me.

Morrison always intrigues me because his work is always better as a whole.  And with this particular story you need all the pieces to fit together.  Morrison's pieces fit together but like any good puzzle it's gonna take ya a while to figure it out.  I personally love me some Dick Grayson as Batman but I can't WAIT to see Bruce put that cowl back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment