CW

CW

Monday, February 22, 2016

DC REBIRTH - WHO THE HECK IS IN THIS PICTURE?


Geoff Johns, Chief Creative Officer for DC Entertainment and the coolest dude ever, recently revealed (ish) the details behind DC Comics: Rebirth. Basically, all of the titles (save for Action Comics and Detective Comics) are being renumbered at #1. Each title is getting back to the "core" of each character or team. The model of course being Geoff Johns' work on Green Lantern: Rebirth and The Flash: Rebirth. The idea is that DC is celebrating the past of each character while pushing them forward into the future. That's what happened in Johns' other "rebirths". And it paid off extremely well. If you have not read them, I highly suggest you do so.

Look how pretty!
 

This too :)
 
If these previous Rebirths are any indication, I'm willing to bet we are in for a real treat. Truthfully, I've been wanting to write about this for a while. I just didn't know what to say. Then it hit me! The image! There are silhouetted figures! I'm confident that DC marketing put them there for a reason. And if you pay attention to the announcement video that Geoff Johns made, there are clues as to who these figures are. Now, I will admit that I'm quite terrible at this. Just ask my friends when we play Taboo. I'm uh . . . I'm quite bad. But! I'm confident I have some ideas here. First off, here's the image I'm referring to:
 


Six figures. Most of their logos are easy to spot but it doesn't answer the question - Who are they? They must be important! Let's speculate, shall we? We'll start with the far left and work our way over . . .

SUPERBOY
 
Superboy is one of DC's most popular characters. From a great run with Geoff Johns' Teen Titans, Young Justice TV series, and a brief appearance on Smallville, Superboy is one of the most recognizable DC Characters. In my opinion, it certainly looks like this Super-character is wearing a jacket. Is Connor's leather jacket making a comeback? Could be. Could be. The biggest clue comes from the announcement of the post-Rebirth titles, one of which is Super-Sons. The emphasis being a plural there! Well, we know that  Dan Jurgens, current writer of Superman: Lois and Clark, has stated that his characters, pre-52 Superman, Lois Lane, and their son Jon Kent, will play a part post-Rebirth. Super-Sons at least refers to one Superboy, probably Jon Kent. So who are the other "Sons?" One would assume Connor Kent is another. And given the "legacy" comment in the announcement plus Geoff Johns' love of Connor, it's probably a safe bet Superboy will be making a return to form during Rebirth.


JAY GARRICK
 
Taking again into account Johns' comment about "legacy" the first Flash was Jay Garrick. In the 1940s he received his power from "hard water" (ya know, ice) and was granted superspeed. He modeled his costume after Mercury, the Messenger of the Gods. When the in the 60s when the characters were retweaked, Jay Garrick was the Flash that Barry Allen read about in comic books, also where he got the name the Flash. Eventually, Garrick and other Justice Society members found their way to our Earth and helped train newer heroes.
 
During the new 52, Garrick was reworked yet again, this time he was a young man granted speed by the actual god Mercury to protect the Earth in case of another attack from Apokalips (which he believed was coming soon). The Rebirth image shows a character wearing a helmet much like Garrick's. But is it the Flash or possibly a character like Sgt. Rock? Are the WWII heroes from Easy Company or the Losers making a comeback? It could be. After all, how does one define legacy? Only time will tell . . .
 
GREEN ARROW
 
There is a hooded figure in the image. Granted, there are a few options in the DC Universe, Spoiler, Azrael, even Damien's Robin costume. However, given the popularity of Arrow, I'm willing to bet Green Arrow is at the forefront of Rebirth. Granted, the character in the image is not sporting a quiver or a bow, it could be a misdirect. I don't think it is though. It's been a while since Green Arrow the comic book was really spectacular. Back when Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino were on the book, it was epic and exciting. Since then, the book has been good to mediocre (if not worse). With Green Arrow a hot commodity, the comic book should follow suit. I hope that we get to see a really great Green Arrow comic again. It makes me sad watching Arrow and not being able to follow similar, exciting adventures in the comics. No offense to the current guys, but it just ain't cuttin it for me. Hopefully Rebirth will bring Green Arrow back into the Justice League and the forefront of the DC Universe in a big way.
 
WALLY WEST
 
Ask any fan of the new 52 and they'll tell you the main thing it's missing is Wally West. Sure there is a Wally in the Flash comics now, but he's nothing compared to the original Wally West. When Barry Allen died (excuse me, was lost to the Speed Force) Wally was the Kid Flash. But he stepped up and became the Flash to protect Keystone City. After Barry returned, Wally remained the Flash and helped Barry protect Keystone and Central City. When the DC Universe was reset with Flashpoint's conclusion, Wally was nowhere to be found. Eventually, he did show up as a punk kid who resented the Flash. During Futures End, we got to see the hero Wally will eventually become, but he has yet to become that hero in the present day.
 
Wally is one of Johns' favorite characters. I mean, his whole career is partially owed to his super-successful run on The Flash for many years. More so than any other character, Wally West is at the top of fans' wish lists. I love Barry Allen. And the Flash TV series makes me love him more every day, but I will admit I do miss Wally. He was a great character. Like Dick Grayson, he was someone that might have been reluctant to take up the mantle of their predecessor but he not only honored their memory, but strengthened it. Like with my Arrow suggestion, I think Wally will be a significant character going forward with Rebirth. At least, I hope so! I mean come on, DC!
 
JESSICA CRUZ
 
Speaking of Geoff Johns, I think we're gonna see one of his creations at the forefront (damn I say that a lot) of Rebirth. Now, Cruz may not be the obvious choice, but allow me to elaborate. Jessica was chosen by the Power Ring, an alternate version of the Green Lantern ring from a parallel Earth (DC comics are awesome). Because she's cowardly, the Power Ring was drawn to her to use her to destroy the Earth. With the help of the Justice League, Jessica is able to control the Power Ring and use it for good. In Green Lantern #20, it's stated that Simon Baz, another human Green Lantern, helped train her as she was the first female human Green Lantern.
 
Given that Green Lantern and the Corps is one of Johns' specialties I wouldn't be surprised if we see Jessica Cruz as a Green Lantern (finally) at the helm of a Green Lantern title. Lately, DC has been all about diversity. It makes sense that one of their most popular titles would be headlined by a female character. I'd like to believe that Johns will keep the promise from GL #20 and we'll get to see Jessica Cruz kick ass as a Green Lantern. I mean . . . Come on . . . Let's do this!
 
SUPERGIRL
 
This one seems pretty obvious right? With the popularity and success of CBS's Supergirl, it seems that Supergirl herself is primed for a "Rebirth" in the comic books. I will admit, that she is one of the weaker DC Characters. She's had a hard time breaking out of the trope of being "Superman's cousin." When Jeph Loeb brought her back in his Superman/Batman run, I really liked the character. I felt like she had a lot of potential and could grow into a unique hero. Unfortunately, she never really struck a chord with me post-Jeph Loeb. Even after the new 52, the character was taken in a new direction and it didn't stick with me. However, the TV show has impressed me and made me a fan of Supergirl. I'm sure I'm not the only one and I'm also sure that DC editorial and Geoff Johns are aware of this.
 
It's past time that Supergirl have not only a quality TV series (she's got it now) but a quality comic book to back it up. The important thing is that Supergirl establish herself as more than just "Superman's cousin." The first few episodes of the series suffered from this, but I think since then the show, and more importantly the character, has established itself as it's own thing. The fans are there, let's give them something to read! Rebirth will do just that!
 
 

I've been a comic book fan all my life. Green Lantern: Rebirth helped turn me into a monthly comic book reader. I have no doubt that DC's Rebirth will help get me back into DC Comics in a big way. With Geoff Johns at the helm, I have no doubt that I'll be purchasing many, if not all, of these books! Let's hope that DC doesn't disappoint! I'm sure they won't. I've always been a DC fan at heart :)
 
 
Till Next Time!
 
 
JJ - The Comic Junkie!

 

 
 
 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment