CW

CW

Friday, May 15, 2015

SUPERGIRL IS HERE TO SAVE THE WORLD


I’m Supergirl and I’m here to save the world! And I wanna know who’s gonna save me?? Yepp, that song is now stuck in your head. Hope you’re happy. Krystal Harris is happy. What is she up to nowadays . . . Either way I’m happy. Not only did the Supergirl preview look super awesome but it was better than I expected. Producer Greg Berlanti has a good track record for superheroes on TV so I wasn’t worried but for every awesome superhero show there are a few duds (although lately I’ve enjoyed most, if not all, of them). So what’s gonna happen with the Maiden of Might this year? Well, if the Flash and Arrow are any indication we can guess but most likely we’ll be wrong. Or at least I will be. I’m bad at guessing . . . Why do I bother . . .

AHEM!

Anyway, I’m looking forward to the show. Let’s take a look at what should and shouldn’t happen this season on SUPERGIRL

SHOULD - BIG, BAD ALIEN THREATS

Part of the appeal of Supergirl is that she can take on more powerful foes than the Flash or Arrow. I imagine that most of the villains Kara will face will have a grudge with either Krypton, Superman, or Earth’s existence. I mean ya can't have an alien main character without a few alien baddies to take her on! 

 Let's just hope she fares better than her cousin . . . 

SHOULDN'T - REFERENCE SUPERMAN ALL THE TIME

My major complaint with the first season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was how often they referenced the Avengers. It was quite irritating. It felt like a wink, wink, nudge, nudge to the audience. Almost like they were bragging “Hey we know the Avengers! We’re friends with them!” even though they weren’t really. You know people like that right? Ugh . . . So annoying. Anyway, they finally got over that and allowed the team to grow and be their own heroes. That’s what was so successful about the Flash. They had Arrow guest star in the first episode but that was pretty much it for a while. It allowed the show to grow and be its own thing. Supergirl will need to do the same thing especially since the show won’t actually include Superman or be connected to Man of Steel (unless that somehow changes).

SHOULD - SEE JIMMY OLSEN WITHOUT HIS SHIRT ON

I mean . . . I’m not gay but . . . Gee whiz Mr. Kent! That’s a good lookin dude! 

SHOULDN'T - CROSSOVER WITH ARROW AND THE FLASH (YET)

I might get some flak for this one but hear me out. I know everyone wants them to and so do I but like I said with the “Superman references” the show needs a chance to breathe and be its own thing. If it has to rely on Arrow/Flash’s success then the producers aren’t doing their jobs right. A crossover would be epic and amazing for sure but let's not rush anything. It's better that we wait a while and see if a crossover would actually work. Plus, in Supergirl's world, Superman exists but he's never been mentioned on Arrow or the Flash. I feel like that would need to be addressed. I mean why wouldn't he be a part of the Legends of Tomorrow show? If I was Superman I'd be pretty pissed that Heatwave and Captain Cold were part of a team up over myself. 

You picked who????

Maybe we'll see Superman on Supergirl at some point, but it's likely that these shows exist in different universes. A crossover is possible, but unlikely. And believe me it's probably for the best (for now . . . ).

SHOULD - MAINTAIN A LIGHTER TONE

One of the things that I love about the Flash is that I can watch it with my 6 year old nephew. Arrow is pretty dark and we don’t let him watch that. I think it’s good for little girls and boys to see a strong female role model/superhero on TV every week. Obviously I don’t want it to be super cartoony or cheesy but the Flash is fun to watch but it doesn’t talk down to the audience. Arrow doesn’t either but it’s more for adults only. I don’t mind the more mature stuff but sometimes the best part of a superhero movie/show is being able to watch it with your kids. Then it makes you feel like a kid again! However, it's also good to be able to watch a superhero show without the kids like Arrow. Because sometimes . . . kids just . . . get to me ya know? Anyway!

SHOULDN'T - SHOW KARA AS WEAK

If they’re gonna make a big deal about the fact that the GIRL in her title isn’t a bad thing then show us it’s not a bad thing. Cat Grant already gave a (flimsy) excuse for her to be SuperGIRL over SuperWOMAN during the preview. She’s gonna be unsure of herself and have some self doubt. We expect that in the first few episodes. Show us a real woman and not a caricature and the audience will stick around. I'm all for having a strong, independent female superhero on network TV. If she's weak or too (dare I say) girly then the audience will leave and DC and WB will look like idiots for not knowing how to write a young woman. Let's avoid that shall we? 

Geoff Johns said that "it's past time for there to be a female superhero on TV." I couldn't agree more. As I said, I think it's important for girls and boys to have a female superhero they can look up just as much as the male ones. Supergirl is a great choice because she's living in the shadow of a very famous cousin. She'll need to stand out and not just be a "female Superman" in terms of the world of the show and the audience watching. She's a very different character from Superman, Arrow, and Flash and I'm hoping CBS will give us that this November. 

Till Next Time!


JJ - The Comic Junkie! 


PS - You're welcome - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGnBbz4P45g  




No comments:

Post a Comment