CW

CW

Monday, February 1, 2016

5 HORROR STORIES THAT ARE RIPE FOR TV ADAPTATIONS


We're gonna go a little off topic here today. Usually I talk about comics or movies or some combination of the two. However, today we're gonna go a different route. You know what I've been noticing lately? There are a crap ton of TV shows that are based on horror books, comics, movies, etc. We've got The Walking Dead, American Horror Story, Bates Motel, Scream (is that show still on? Was it good? I don't know. I don't care), and soon Damien based on the Omen films will be joining those ranks. There are probably a few I'm forgetting, but you get my drift. It's kind of interesting that there are so many scary stories that people are gobbling up on a weekly basis.

My personal favorite of the ones I listed

What is it about scary stories that gets people so excited? I mean, no one really likes to be scared right? No one wants to live in a constant state of fear! I'm sure there are some studies out there that say that people like the "thrill" or the "mystery." Then again, maybe people are just really fucked up in the head. They like weird, scary shit! That's ok. I'm one of those people! I'm intrigued by the "good vs evil" concept, which is why I like comic books so much. Every now and again, it's interesting to see something scary because often, the characters don't get a happy ending. In a sad way, that's relate-able isn't it? 

I'm sorry . . . Kind of a downer . .  .

Anyway! I started thinking about what other stories out there could be adapted into TV shows. I mean if Scream can be a TV show than anything can right? Huh? Am I right? HAHA! Anyway, here it goes . . . 

AMERICAN VAMPIRE

Written by one of my favorite comic book writers, Scott Snyder, American Vampire is one of the most original and creative tales of vampires. I won't bore you with the details but suffice it to say that it's not the usual garlic, stakes, sunlight that can kill these guys. Each vampire species from different regions has their own weakness. The story is also great in that it travels through time. Not like literally! I mean it starts in the Old West and goes all the way up the 1920s, 1950s, etc, etc. I'd love to see a cool type of ensemble show that follows different vampires and vampire hunters through history. Stylistically, it would be a very unique type of show. It could be filmed differently based on the different time periods. The costumes would be different, the sets, gosh it would be pretty incredible to watch! The comic already has a unique feel to it, despite it being about vampires (a common subject on TV and in movies). I'm a fan of the comic and I'd love to see it adapted in live action.

 WYTCHES

Another favorite of mine written by Scott Snyder. I mean, the dude can write some scary shit! Wytches was another unique twist on a classic tale. Instead of beings with pointy hats, cauldrons, and warts, these were other worldly monsters that barely resembled anything close to human. Granted, it was a mini series comic book, with a possible sequel in the works, but I think there is a rich storyline to draw from here. The Wytches are terrifying and mysterious. In the comic, you never really get a good look at them. In a TV series, I think that would be somewhat frustrating to watch. You'd want to see the monsters. Apparently the rights have been optioned for a film. Granted the story might fit better in a film, but I would argue that a TV show could be much more exciting. There would be a lot more character development as well as mythology to build up about the wytches. I think a 10 episode mini series or anthology series (like AHS) would be really exciting and a lot of fun. And scary. Terrifying really. I mean, this comic was scary dude! 

THE EXORCIST

This one is a bit of a cheat because I read that there is a pilot in the works based on this material. There have been several attempts to make a sequel, spin-off, what-have-you of the Exorcist over the years with varying degrees of success. In my opinion, the closest (in terms of scares) was the Exorcism of Emily Rose. Now, here's a little known fact about me - this is the scariest movie I have ever fucking seen. I watched this with my sister and my dad when I was a kid. My sister and I couldn't sleep for weeks. What made is worse was on a family road trip, my dad told us we were driving through the town that the actual exorcism happened. Needless to say, my dad thought our fear was hysterical. What a bastard . . . eh . . . I'll probably do it to my kids . . . 

Anyway! That was a terrifying movie and one that I don't think I could watch again at night (but maybe!). However, I won't deny that a series based on Exorcisms or demons or whatever would pique my interest. A limited series or anthology type show would be really cool and scary. Or perhaps a show that followed the Exorcist himself would be interesting. Not necessarily as a demon fighting bad ass like in Supernatural, but a subdued, quiet priest that travels from place to place trying to rid the world of evil. That would be cool . . . And fucking terrifying. I take it back. I don't want this!!! (if you listen closely, you can hear my dad laughing at me) 

SWAMP THING

Yes. Technically, another Scott Snyder property. But he's awesome ok?? Believe it or not, one of my favorite comic books is Swamp Thing. I've read Alan Moore's twisted, heartfelt run. I've read Scott Snyder's scary, twisted run. And I read Charles Soule's inspired, twisted run. Basically, in some way shape or form, Swamp Thing is twisted. It's a strange tale of what it means to be a man, destiny, evil, the balance of nature, and love. Supposedly, Warner Bros is working on a live action Dark Universe movie that would feature Swamp Thing as a main character. Granted, I'm all for that, but I think an adaptation of the comics would be perfectly at home on television. There was a Swamp Thing TV show years ago based on the movie directed by Wes Craven (yes . . . you read that right) but it didn't last. It's a tough, and probably expensive source material but it would also be really, really cool. It's got everything people love - Monsters! True Love! Evil zombie things! Corruption (sort of)! Also, there's a great Jekyll and Hyde aspect that people can't seem to get enough of in modern storytelling. I'd be all for seeing Swamp Thing on television or possibly Netflix. Plus it would be an excuse to bring back Matt Ryan as Constantine. 


That just NEEDS to happen! 

STEPHEN KING'S IT

One of my favorite horror stories of all time. It is one of those stories that leaves you wanting more but afraid to ask (in a good way). There was a TV movie adapted several years ago, memorable for the children's dynamic and Tim Curry's terrifying performance as Pennywise the Dancing Clown. Topping that performance alone would be tricky. There was a two part film in the works not long ago and it even had Stephen King's blessing, but unfortunately it stalled out. Hopefully, this will turn out to be a blessing in disguise because It would make a fantastic series. The book is filled with a rich, deep mythology and wonderfully fleshed out characters. Even as a limited series, as long as it's lovingly and faithfully adapted, it would be truly exciting not to mention scary as hell. 

I'm a big fan of the TV movie, despite it not having aged very well. However, even just reading the first few chapters I noticed just how much of the story was left out. In a series, that could easily be rectified and even expanded upon. The mythology behind Pennywise, his origins, past killings, etc would be really interesting to see. Also, the town of Derry, Maine as a main character (similar to White Pine Bay in Bates Motel) would be fascinating to see. How does the town react to this creature? Who else has been affected by IT? I'd love to see that! Damn! I'm getting myself all worked up at the possibility! Let's make It happen! Haha . . . get it? 

By the way - I didn't realize how many times I would use the word "it" in describing this. It was unintentional yet kind of funny . . . Anyway . . . 

These are my suggestions of horror stories I'd like to see adapted to the small screen. Great television, if done right, can have a lasting impact. Given the longer narratives there is more time for character development, mythology and world building to happen. There's a reason that people get sucked into shows and binge watch them on Netflix or Hulu. Movies are great and all, but for people that prefer more fleshed out "universes" (if you will), TV is the way to go. And for some reason, horror stories fit well into binge watching sessions. Dang . . . now I kinda want to get caught up on American Horror Story! 

Till Next Time!



JJ - the Comic Junkie!  







No comments:

Post a Comment