CW

CW

Monday, January 25, 2016

SUPERGIRLS ON SUPERGIRL!


Last week it was confirmed that former Supergirl Laura Vandervoort would be a recurring guest star on CBS's Supergirl. She'll be playing the part of Indigo, which in the comics is kinda like a female Brainiac. It's not confirmed if she'll necessarily be the villain yet or not but it is confirmed that she'll make several appearances. Along with Helen Slater (star of the 1984 Supergirl film) this does go to show that nostalgic casting choices are all the rage with these superhero TV shows. I had a previous post about this and how I'm a huge fan of it. Then I started thinking, why stop there? There have been plenty of "Supergirls" on TV over the years and I think a great way to honor their past would be to bring them on Supergirl. Now I'm not saying they should reprise their roles (that would be tough) but it would be cool to see them show up and help Supergirl kick someone's ass. Or possibly try to kick her ass. I dunno . . . Whichever comes first . . .

Anyway! Here's the list!

HAYDEN PANETTIERE

I probably would've tuned into Heroes Reborn if she was still on the show. Just . . .  Uh . . . Saying. Yes, I'm in love with Ms. Panettiere. I had the privilege of meeting her a few years ago at New York Comic Con during the Heroes heyday. She was very sweet and gracious to her fans. It made me appreciate her as an actress a lot more. Trust me when I tell you that a lot of times when you get an autograph, even one you pay for, they don't have to be nice about it. But she was! 

Anyway, I think it would be cool to have her guest star on an episode or two. Maybe pay homage to Claire Bennet in some way. Like the character is the daughter of a man hunting aliens/metahumans or make her a metahuman and/or alien. Either way, Heroes was a big part of selling people on "comic book" type shows, so I believe Supergirl should acknowledge that in some way. But also the more Hayden Panettiere in my life, the better.

ELIZA DUSHKU

Another amazing actress I had the privilege of meeting at New York Comic Con. While everyone will always remember her as Faith from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I also think of her as the voice of Catwoman in the animated Batman: Year One. She's always playing the tough girl with the vulnerable side she tries to hide from the world. Granted, she's very good at that role, but her role in Dollhouse did show us that she does have a bit more range. I would definitely like to see her guest star on Supergirl in some way, shape, or form. Honestly, (and I told her this when I met her) I think she should play a live action Catwoman. I can't think of a character tougher but still with a soft side. But if we're talking about her expanding her roles, She's proved that she can be either an antagonist or a protagonist. Let's see her play a role that challenges her the way Faith did. Whatever happens, I just think she should be in more movies and TV shows. I mean come on! Look at her! Sigh . . . 

SUMMER GLAU

When I came up with this list, I totally forgot that Summer was on Arrow. My bad. Anyway, I still think she should come to Supergirl. She's actually the only one on this list that has actually played Supergirl before. In the animated Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, Glau played Kara Zor El, lost daughter of Krypton. She washes up in Gotham Bay, is discovered by Batman, taken in by Superman, trained by Wonder Woman, and kidnapped/brainwashed by Darkseid. It's a really great story and there's a pretty bad ass fight with Superman and Kara vs Darkseid at the end. I highly recommend the film. 

Over the years, Summer has played sympathetic yet bad ass (Terminator) to rash and impulsive (Superman/Batman) to downright nasty (Arrow). Basically, I think she could play any type of character on Supergirl and it would be a kick ass performance. However, my recommendation would be more along the lines of a Donna Troy type character. Another "legacy" character like Supergirl is with Superman.  Technically she was Wonder Woman's protege as Wonder Girl but she outgrew during later publications of different comics. Ugh . . . It's ridiculous with all the revamps DC does . . . ANYWHO! I think Summer would make a terrific Donna Troy and a welcome addition to the Supergirl world. Hell, even if Summer isn't cast they should use Donna! But they should cast her, because she would be fantastic.

LUCY LAWLESS

I mean, this one was pretty obvious right? I think when the term "supergirl" or "female superhero" gets tossed around, Lucy Lawless/Xena is the first person people think of. I will go ahead and admit that I've never actually seen Xena: Warrior Princess. From what I gather, it was a 90s guilty pleasure, probably best left to nostalgia. However, Lucy Lawless is still gorgeous and a good actress. She guest starred during a few episodes of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Granted, her character was just another agent. I think that was a waste. If you're going to have freaking Xena guest star on your show then give her something to do! She was also the voice of Wonder Woman in the animated Justice League: the New Frontier film. Now that's how you do some stunt casting! She, of course, was perfect in the role. I'd argue that her second best performance was as Diane during Parks and Recreation. I mean, come on, the only woman that could finally make Ron settle down and not drive him to do crazy things would have to be some kind of super-woman right? 

Indeed

I'd love to see Lawless on Supergirl as a Xena or Wonder Woman type of character. She's proven to be a great actress but come on! Wouldn't that be awesome if she was an Amazon or another escaped Kryptonian prisoner? I'd love that! Plus, in a show chock full of nods, winks, and easter eggs, let's give those types of fans something to really get excited about!

LYNDA CARTER

Another one that was pretty obvious. But I mean come on! If you know nothing else about Wonder Woman you know that silly theme song from the 70s. Also the spinning out of her regular clothes into her Wonder Woman costume, which people still reference to this day. For many, Lynda Carter IS Wonder Woman. She's a great actress on her own but I think the most impressive thing about her is that she seems to radiate confidence and authority. If I were to cast her on Supergirl, she would definitely be either Hank Henshaw's boss at the DEO or some other figure like that. While she does fit into the "nostalgia" casting, she's also a good enough actress that it wouldn't feel too gimmicky having her on the show. Give her a great character, maybe similar to Christopher Reeve's role as mentor on Smallville. In a show full of winks and . . . Ah I already said that . . . Well, still. Bring her on and let her kick some ass! 

SARAH MICHELLE GELLAR

As what will come as a shock to none of you, Buffy the Vampire Slayer is one of my all time favorite TV shows. I felt that Gellar was absolutely perfect as Buffy. When I was a kid, I started watching because I had a major crush on her. Turns out, I fell in love with the series. A few years ago, I started getting the DVD sets. I devoured them. Even had an all night binge watching session before Netflix was even a thing. Yeah I'm super cool I know . . . Anyway, the show was fantastic to me and nowadays I keep up with the continuing "season" comics. While it's clear that Joss Whedon isn't as involved with those comics as I'd like, they are still a fun read. Gellar was the perfect lead star. She was a leader and a warrior, but wasn't afraid to show off her sensitive side. I looked up to Buffy as a kid and kind of wished I could meet a girl like that in real life. But maybe I'm just hoping for too much . . . There's no such thing as a Slayer . . . 

Anyway, Gellar would be a perfect guest star on Supergirl. Granted it would be kind of cheesy to have her guest star as a vampire hunter or something like that, but still I'm sure we can find something. I'd like to see her be some sort of superpowered rival and/or ally to Kara. On Buffy, Gellar proved time and again that she is a very talented actress and can handle any craziness the writers/producers could throw at her. She will probably never guest star on the show but if the producers were looking for any kind of "supergirl" to showcase, she would have my vote in a heartbeat! 


Like I said, I'm a big fan of nostalgia casting or stunt casting. Yes, it's a gimmick to get ratings, but I think more often than not, the actors prove themselves and bring something special to the show. I'd love to see it continue and these women would be fantastic additions to the Supergirl cast. 


Till Next Time! 


JJ - the Comic Junkie! 



No comments:

Post a Comment