CW

CW

Monday, February 16, 2015

THOSE TIMES WHEN BATMAN WAS A PROPHET

When you're an actor you get to play a variety of different roles. Doctors, lawyers, superheroes, and sometimes you get to play Jesus or Moses. An even luckier fewer get to play Batman and Jesus or Moses (or both). I love when I see actors that have played different Batman parts in different movies together in weird ways.

My favorite example

This past weekend I attended a retreat in Erie, PA called Divine Mercy Encounter. During this retreat, you are meant to shut out the outside world and encounter Jesus in a very personal way. Well, it worked wonders for me. I felt a connection to God that I haven't felt in years. It was like finding a song on your iPod that you haven't heard in a long time and singing along, knowing every single word even though it's been years since you've played it. This weekend did that for me. It strengthened me and give me light when I was in a dark place. 

In a funny way, I've always thought of Jesus as very similar to Batman. Jesus died for our sins and performed miracles. Batman sacrifices a normal life for the people of Gotham. He shines a light in the darkness. Batman swore an oath on his parents' grave that he would bring justice to Gotham City. Jesus brings peace and love. I mean, it's not like they're totally the same but I've always thought of them as similar. Maybe that's just my weird brain working.


Back to my earlier thought, how cool would it be to be an actor and get to play Batman? That's one of my life goals to be honest. 

Been practicing . . .

Like I said, I always saw a lot of similarities between Batman and Jesus (and Moses) so it's cool that there have been actors that have played both parts. Who are they you may ask? I'm glad you asked (or I asked for you . . . ) 

JEREMY SISTO AS JESUS IN JESUS 
Several years ago there was a made for TV movie called Jesus. I think it was on NBC. I remember watching it with my family and really enjoying it. I thought that the guy they got to play Jesus looked just like Jesus from all the paintings I had seen growing up. Their interpretation of Jesus was great to me, he seemed like a real man. He laughed, joked, and still preached the word of God. I loved that. Imagine my surprise several years later when I found out he was cast as Batman in the animated Justice League: the New Frontier


I thought it was so great. Especially since I hadn't heard from that guy since he played Jesus. I worried that the crucifixion scene might have been real and he had died! Just kidding! Just kidding! Seriously though, he made a great Batman. And just like true Batman style, he doesn't have a big part in the movie but when he's on screen he owns it.

 CHRISTIAN BALE AS JESUS IN MARY, MOTHER OF JESUS
Ok so I'll be honest and say that I've never seen this movie. I probably should because look at that picture. That's Batman. As Jesus. I mean . . . that's just the coolest thing ever!


Batman carries the burden of defending Gotham City on his shoulders just like Jesus carried the Cross. In the end, Batman inspired the city during The Dark Knight Rises to fight back against Bane and his men. Sounds a lot like Jesus inspiring the disciples to spread the Good Word. 

Oh and also!

CHRISTIAN BALE AS MOSES IN EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS
Again, I did not see this movie. It looked like a live action version of The Prince of Egypt (more on that in a bit). However, if Batman had led the Jews out of Egypt . . . Well let's just say that he wouldn't have needed the Plagues.

Let my people go! Then you have my permission to die!

VAL KILMER AS MOSES AND GOD IN THE PRINCE OF EGYPT
This is one of my all time favorite movies. It actually makes me really mad that they've never made this into a Broadway musical. I'll just have to do it when I'm rich and famous I guess. Anyway, the film had a wonderful cast which featured Patrick Stewart (Professor X), Michelle Pfeiffer (Catwoman), Jeff Goldblum (Ian Malcolm), Ralph Fiennes (Voldemort) and Danny Glover (Sgt. Murtaugh). Of course the cast also featured Val Kilmer (Batman) as Moses and the voice of God. And he was Batman. Dude's life is complete!


There's even a scene in Batman Forever where Bruce is recalling his parents' funeral. I might be wrong but it looked like Bruce Wayne was Catholic. That was pretty cool to me. Despite me saying that Batman and Jesus/Moses are similar I think that Batman is not a religious person. But it's all good. Kilmer was great in all three parts he played. 

And finally:

WILL ARNETT AS GOB BLUTH AS "JESUS" IN ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT
Ok . . . Ok ya got me! I'm just joshing ya. This is Gob's ego going overboard but it was hilarious. And Will Arnett was hilarious as Batman in the Lego Movie. 


I hope you enjoyed this list. I know it's been a while since my last post, but I'm gonna work more at it because I love writing for this blog. Keep on reading and God bless!

Till Next Time!


JJ - The Comic Junkie! 

No comments:

Post a Comment