CW

CW

Friday, December 26, 2014

5 DC Digital Comic Books I Want To See Happen:

DC Comics has had a really successful string of great digital comics. In my opinion the best ones have been the ones tied to the established TV and video game universes like Smallville, Batman '66 Arrow, Injustice, Batman: Arkham City, The Flash, Batman Beyond, and others that I'm sure I'm forgetting. The digital comics are cheap, quick reads and something to look forward to on a weekly basis.

That's what she said

All of these got me thinking . . . What other projects are out there that DC can bring back in comic book form? We already have confirmation that the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman series is getting the digital treatment.  That's cool. I've actually never seen that show but I love nostalgia so this should be fun! But what else? It got me thinking that there are a few projects I'd love to see come back as only the comic book form can do.

Cuz otherwise this is what Batman '66 would look like on film

Be warned most of my suggestions are Batman related but it's not like I had a lot to choose from!

Unless you want this coming back!

Anyway, here are my choices for the 5 projects DC Comics Should Revive in Comic Book Form:


BATMAN '89:
I know I'm being a little petty here but it sucks for me that the fans of Adam West's Batman got a comic book and I never got one for my favorite live action Batman! It's just not fair!!!! I think this comic would be really awesome and stylistically really unique and awesome. I said awesome twice because that's how I felt about the whole look of this film. To this day it holds up as my favorite live action version of Batman's costume, car, and city. The Dark Knight was the superior film but the visuals in this film hooked me as a child. Also, and maybe I'm the only one but I love the Batsymbol in this film.

Oh yeah baby. There you are

I love it so much that I have it tattooed on my arm. It's unique and caught my attention even as a child. I'll get into it more in another post but this scene, more than anything else, cemented my opinion of who Batman is and what makes him such a bad ass: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9G18qHPhcM 

I'd love to see Tim Burton-esque designs of the rest of Batman's rogues gallery like the Mad Hatter, the Ventriloquist, Ra's Al Ghul, and Harley Quinn. The only downside to this book is the continuity. Does it fit in with Batman Returns, Batman Forever, and Batman and Robin? I would argue that it doesn't and, for the most part, each film was mostly stand alone and didn't follow each other despite having some continuity amongst themselves.  But that's for the individual reader to decide.


THE DARK KNIGHT CONTINUES:
Christopher Nolan gave a pretty definitive ending to the Dark Knight Trilogy. There is much debate over the ending of The Dark Knight Rises but it's still pretty clear that Nolan ended the series just the way he wanted. But Batman is a comic book character and the story of Batman always goes on. Bruce Wayne got his happy ending but Gotham will always need a Batman, and that seemed to be the theme throughout all 3 movies.

I didn't spend all this money for nuthin'

A digital comic book would be a great way to continue the films. The movies can still stand on their own but anyone that's interested in the further adventures of "Robin" John Blake can have their cake and eat it too! Like my Batman '89 suggestion it would be great to see "Nolan-ized" versions of Batman's rogues like Black Mask, Deadshot, and the Court of Owls. Plus there's the idea of the return of the Joker! And that's like everyone's favorite version of the Joker! Let's see what mayhem he'll cause for Blake to clean up! It could be like how Joker saw Terry in Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker. Damn, someone make this comic before I explode!


SMALLVILLE SEASON 12:
Smallville was my favorite TV show for 10 years. 10 years of my life were devoted to loving this show and it's love letter to Superman and his mythos. I know a lot of people either lost faith or wrote this show off, but I never gave up on it. DC Comics granted my wish (from a previous blog post) and made "Smallville: Season 11." I just about lost it! Although not long ago . . . it ended. I had to watch my favorite show end AGAIN. I just . . . CAN'T EVEN! Bryan Q. Miller is a saint in my book for not only continuing my favorite show but doing it ABSOLUTE JUSTICE! HAHA! . . . It's an episode in season 9 . . . Look it up. Anyway, the comic was fantastic and I was so sad when it ended. I will hold out hope that DC will bring it back again, maybe as a little mini-series like "The Lost Episodes" or something like that. Either way, Smallville got me through some tough times and it ended perfectly (both times). Wait . . . If it ended perfectly then, JJ, (you're asking yourself) why do you want it to continue?


Cuz there's me cosplaying as the Blur and Geoff Johns. THAT'S why!


BATMAN ANIMATED:
Batman Beyond had it's chance as a digital comic. But you know what I wanna see? The motherfucking original Batman: the Animated Series. If you read any interview with a current Batman writer or artist I'm willing to bet they will mention how this show got them into comics or Batman or both. And you know what? It's not for nothing! It got me into Batman big time. Yes, the Michael Keaton film was what started the fire in my heart for Batman but this show kept it going. I remember one Christmas when I was a kid and I got a bunch of the toys and I had so much fun playing with all of them. I also remember the Happy Meal toys. I was always so disappointed when the New Batman Adventures was the dominant series. It crossed over with Superman: the Animated Series and then spun off into Batman Beyond. But you know what? I missed the yellow oval. I missed the Joker's red lips (the design! Not like in a sexual way . . .). I missed the designs of the original Batmobile, Batwing, and Batboat.  I never cared for how the redesigns looked but I did love that the original actors came back (most of them anyway). Even now when I watch it on DVD, I miss this series and wish I could get a few more episodes in that original style. Now they are releasing action figures based on both series and my bank account might disagree with me but I just gotta have them!!
 I just can't even right now!

I loved this show growing up and I didn't hesitate to buy the DVDs when they all came out. Nowadays I show them to my nephew and he goes nuts for it so I know there is still a market for it. Let's make it happen, DC!


THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD: TV AND MOVIE TEAM UPS!:
Current DC Entertainment Creative Officer and all around awesome dude Geoff Johns has previously stated that the TV and movie universes would be separate but could potentially meet in some kind of "multiverse." Basically, he just implied that "Crisis on Infinite Earths" would star Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, Stephen Amell, Gal Gadot, Grant Gustin, Matt Ryan, Ben Mackenzie . . . 

This is what went through all our minds when he said multiverse

This would be very difficult to pull off on film, whether it be TV or a movie but damn it if it isn't fun to dream about! Since it's unlikely to happen for real, it would be great for it to show up in some form in a digital comic book. Stephen Amell has become the definitive Green Arrow for a new generation and his crossover with The Flash was a smash hit so why not keep going? I'd love to see some wacky adventure that puts Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, and George Clooney together in some form. Or even an Arrow team up with Constantine or Detective Gordon from Gotham. Man, this would be a heck of a read and tons of fun to hear the actors' voices albeit in my head and not for real. Since the normal 6 or 7 figures wouldn't have to be paid to the actors, the comics could really go nuts with a massive crossover.  And you know . . . there was that hint on The Flash a few months ago . . . 

Oh yeah baby. There you are

In any event, these are my DC Digital Comics wish list. What's yours? Let me know!

Until next time!



JJ - The Comic Junkie  

No comments:

Post a Comment