CW

CW

Saturday, December 20, 2014

5 CHARACTERS I NEVER WANT TO SEE ON GOTHAM


Usually the first thing people find out about me is that I am a gigantic Batman fan. I’ve loved Batman since I was a lowercase jj. He’s always been my favorite superhero and someone I looked up to as a kid. Even as an adult my house is still filled with Batman toys, comics, and posters. When the Gotham TV show was first announced I thought it sounded terrible. It was pitched as Jim Gordon rising through the ranks of a corrupt police department.  Eh . . . no thanks.

You have failed this city! 

Then they announced that younger versions of Batman’s villains would be on the show. I became a little intrigued. After all, Batman has the best rogues gallery in all of comics. Oh it’s also about how the Penguin became the biggest crime lord in Gotham City? Hmm . . . That’s interesting. The Riddler was on the GCPD CSI? That sounds great! Catwoman is a young thief with ties to a young Bruce Wayne? That's a good idea! Then the cast photos and trailers started rolling in and I got really excited. Dude this show looks awesome! They’re gonna throw in little nods to the Bat-mythology but really focus on the dirty, ugly side of Gotham City!  Then I saw the pilot. My reaction was pretty much this:

Oh . . . Yeah . . . 

That was great! The first few episodes have been a little rocky but the basic concept of seeing Jim Gordon trying to clean up the corrupt police department, while Oswald Cobblepot is manipulating his way up the crime ladder has been fascinating. Young Bruce Wayne dealing with the immediate fallout of his parent’s death has been great and never truly explored in the films or even really in the comics. Also, the kid who plays Bruce Wayne is damn near perfect. It’s an interesting ride and I’m excited to see where it goes. That being said, I have some complaints. There are a lot of characters being introduced on the show that I have a hard time wrapping my head around. The best example is Harvey Dent. He’s Jim’s age in the show but in the comics he’s always been Bruce’s age. I don’t usually mind when characters’ races or ages change but that’s a pretty drastic one. I can live with it because the characterization was done well but it’s still a bit much. Anyway, despite my love of Batman and Gotham there are a few people I don’t ever wanna see on the show. Please note that it’s not because I don’t like these characters or I think the writers would screw it up.  On the contrary, the writers could actually have interesting takes on these characters. I love these characters (except one) I just don’t think they’d fit into the show.  Here is my list of the 5 Characters I Hope We Never See on Gotham:


CLARK KENT:
This is probably the strangest request. Why would Clark Kent be on Gotham? If anything he could be a season 3,4,5, etc guest star.  I admit that a young “World’s Finest” team up episode would be kinda cool. But I'll be totally honest with you, I’m still bitter that Bruce Wayne never showed up on Smallville. They had 10 freaking seasons and Bruce never showed up for literally no reason! They put almost every other damn Justice League member on that show except the one I always wanted to see! Granted he became a big part of the Smallville Season 11 comic and the interpretation was really good and I loved it there. However, I still never got to see him on the show itself! I should probably just get over it but it’s still hurts! I mean heck, now I have to deal 4 current DC Comics TV shows that will never have Batman on them! I’m willing to bet even the Titans show (if it gets picked up) won’t have Batman actually show up.  Jeez . . . Anyway . . . Where was I? Oh yeah.  Clark Kent shouldn’t make an appearance on Gotham.  Yeah, see how Bruce likes it when you don’t show up on his prequel show!

That's so mean . . .

Hey it's just how I feel!  Anyway, let's move on!

RA'S AL GHUL:
I think this is a pretty obvious choice but it is not because he’s been on Arrow. He's been done very well so far on that series and I'm sure we haven't seen the last of him there. As far as appearing on Gotham I think this character is better suited to show up after Batman has been around for a while.  Ra’s was created to spice things up in the Batman comics because the writers and editors wanted a new villain to get Bruce out of Gotham.  He’s a wonderful character and it would be cool if there was a nod to him in some fashion (like the Venom nod in another episode) but his presence on the series wouldn’t work.  Ra’s brings with him an otherworldly and somewhat mystical feel (for lack of a better term) and that would conflict with the series current tone and setting. The characters could travel to other parts of the world but that would be a little strange given that the show is a crime thriller set in a very specific city. Ra’s being on the show would shift the dynamic and honestly, without his “Detective” to challenge him who could even put up a worthy fight? The whole reason Ra's ever came to Gotham was to meet/challenge/test Batman. Without Batman there it doesn't make much sense for him to show up at all.  I'd prefer not to see him on the show and keep him as an adversary on Arrow or possibly even The Flash.  


HARLEY QUINN:
I’m probably gonna get a lot of flak for this one.  But let’s face it, Harley is not that interesting pre-Jokerized. The character wouldn’t even be "Harley Quinn" so to speak. She’d have to be Harleen Quinnzel, pre-teen/teenager with aspirations to be a psychiatrist. Sure they could bring her on and she’d be some sweet kid with a dark undertone but that’s why we have Selina on the show isn’t it?  Don’t get me wrong, I love Harley Quinn.  She’s a wonderful character and tons of fun as both Joker’s sidekick and an anti-hero. I can get around Harvey Dent being older than Bruce but if Harley is older? No thank you, I’d rather not. Then again, who knows? Maybe they’ll do a great interpretation and I’ll be blown away but I doubt it. Like I said about Ra’s, it makes more sense for Harley to come along when the Joker is truly established so Batman can see just how evil he is and how easily he can corrupt someone.  Dang, now that I think about it I kinda wanna re-read Mad Love.

You know . . . For the story . . . 

Next!

FISH MOONEY:
Yeah I know she’s already on the show but if you ask me, she's already worn out her welcome. I hate her. There’s a theory online that the Penguin will take over for her (what do Penguins eat?) in Falcone's organization but I hope it happens sooner rather than later. No offense to Jada Pinkett Smith, she’s very talented and she's doing the best with what she has, but what she has is a terrible character that doesn’t show any real potential in the series. The character is just a little too over the top for my taste. Most of the characters are a little outlandish but Fish makes me cringe the way Arnold's puns make me cringe.

I don't need a caption.  You heard one in your head the moment you looked at this picture.

I like the show a lot and I think it's been a great addition to the Batman mythology, but Fish is not interesting to me and I hope that her story is almost up.  Then again with my luck she'll end up in the comic books and I'll have to see her stupid face in my beloved Batman comics. Please don't, DC . . . Just please don't . . . 

And finally, my number one pick for a character I never want to see on Gotham:


THE JOKER:
Since I confessed my love of Batman this one might come as a shock to you. The Joker is my favorite Bat-villain.  Hell, he's my favorite villain in any medium. The producers have already told us that the Joker will be on the show. Or perhaps . . . he’s been there the whole time??? DUN DUN DUN!! Either way, this is one character I think they should stay away from. I think that the best interpretation of the Joker was in The Dark Knight. He represents the chaos to Batman’s order and can only truly exist when Batman exists. Sure it might be interesting if Jack Napier (his alter ego from Batman) made a cameo but it’s far more interesting to have the Joker show up to challenge Batman and his one man war on crime rather than him show up to challenge Gordon and his one man war on corruption.  Granted the writers could have an interesting take and I might end up changing my mind but I truly believe the Joker is best left alone. To argue with myself for a moment, I'll admit that Lex Luthor was the best character on Smallville so there is potential for the arch-nemesis to rise before the hero.  However, I like the idea that there are hints to the Joker’s existence or possible identities for us to guess at (like the comedian in the pilot) rather than have him be a recurring character. That's more in line with the character anyway.  After all we never did learn where he got those scars . . . 

Turns out it was a botched dental operation. Ouch!

I’m sure everyone has their fair share of characters, places, stories, etc that they do and do not want to see on Gotham. Personally, I’m digging the show and I’m enjoying this new take on the origin of Bruce Wayne, Jim Gordon, and Oswald Cobblepot. I know there is a lot of animosity toward the show but I believe it is unfounded. The show is meant to show us what these characters were like before they were in crazy costumes and on grandiose adventures. I'm definitely looking forward to the second half of the season and what happens next.  But please, Producers, keep these characters away from the show (especially Fish).  



JJ - The Comic Junkie

No comments:

Post a Comment