CW

CW

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Flash #12

Written and Art by Francis Manapul & Brian Buccellato


If you are regular readers of this blog you will know one thing . . . That I haven't posted anything in like a year.  So I'll have to fill you in on something very important:

I love Francis Manapul's art.  I think he is a great artist and his work is among some of the best in the whole comic book medium.  But DC has a terrible history of having their artists become writers and the results tend to suck some hard ballsacks.  I was very very nervous about Manapul and Buccellato taking over the Flash last year.  After a great run (pun intended) by Geoff Johns how could it get any better?  Especially if it's an artist turned writer.  I was very nervous indeed.  Boy was my nervous energy wasted!!  The Flash was on the way to becoming a favorite character of mine and I felt as thought his New 52 series would be make or break for me.  I'm very happy to say that it's been a make :)

The more recent issues have been focusing on reimagining the Rogues.  That's a very smart move in my opinion.  The Rogues are to the the Flash that the Joker is to Batman or Magneto is to the X-Men.  They are who you think of when you think of great villians for great heroes.  The Rogues have always been a family with a very strict sense of honor among thieves.  This issue kind of turned that dynamic on it's head.  In the hands of a lesser writing team that would have spelled bad news.  But Manapul and Buccellato have an advantage - they aren't afraid to take a risk!  That seems to be the whole point of the new 52 right?  They're not afraid to show that these characters while a "family" are still Rogues and their allegiances can turn at the drop of a hat if given better leadership.

Glider is truly a credible threat to the Flash.  She's been able to manipulate the Rogues into trusting her and the public into hating the Flash even more.  No easy feat but all like any great villain she does it all with a smile on her face and makes it seem effortless.  I'm sold!  Can't wait to see what she does next!

I give this issue Five Shards in Dr Elias's heart out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment