CW

CW

Sunday, November 28, 2010

JJ Reacts To:

TANGLED as Disney's "last" fairy tale:


I don't care how old you are.  You can be 3 years old or 70 - Disney knows their shit.  I've just come from the movie theater after seeing TANGLED.  Wow.  I was blown away!  It was so dare I say original!  Granted, it's based on the fairy tale Rapunzel it still felt like it was an original story.  Slightly predictable yes, a little cliche yes, and sappy yes but let's really let's look at Disney's greatest (according to the JJ) - THE LION KING, ALADDIN, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST.  Hmmm . . . they are all predictable, cliche, and sappy.  Yet they are considered classics. Bazinga!

Now, if this truly Disney's "last" fairy tale (probably for about 3 years or some crap) then they went out with a bang.  The story seemed very epic but was actually quite personal and touching.  It wasn't Simba trying to regain his throne, or Ariel yearning to learn more about the "surface world" (haha, see what I did there? Aquaman reference!!!), it was just a young girl with a dream to see floating lanterns on her birthday.  No, seriously, that was it.  Oh and the guy who plays Chuck on the NBC show of the same name is the main hero.   Uh . . . I'm not really winning points here am I?  Ok well, here we go:

I, like most people, grew up on Disney movies.  I grew up loving ALADDIN, THE LION KING, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, HERCULES, TARZAN, TOY STORY, and so on and so forth. And here is the honest truth - I still love those movies.  Now, I watch them through adult eyes and still find the magic in them.  Not necessarily because they remind me of my childhood (although that is part of it) but because they are well made movies. Well. Made. Movies.  Go watch BEAUTY AND THE BEAST and tell me you didn't tear up at the end.  Tell me that THE LION KING's ending didn't put a smile on your face just now.  The same will be said for TANGLED. 

Also, the acting by the animators was TOP NOTCH!  In my opinion, worthy of any Oscar, Golden Globe, or MTV award (cuz those are cool too).  I saw the 3D version and like AVATAR it seemed like you were a part of the movie rather than just stuff flying at you!  The voice acting was also superb.  Disney sure knows how to cast their movies. 

But the best part, to me, was that this was a musical.  I believe this is Disney's first CGI musical.  The Pixar movies stayed away from that territory (and rightly so, those movies are fine without it) but this is Disney movie making at it's finest again.  I felt like a little kid seeing this and I truly enjoyed myself.  I literally went and bought the soundtrack after seeing it. Listening to it now actually, as I'm writing this.

My recommendation to you is to go see Disney's "last" fairy tale.  I felt like they went out with a bang.  And trust me, you don't wanna miss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment