CW

CW

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

JJ Reacts To:

THE GREEN LANTERN PREVIEW:

Gasp!  Wow!  I'm . . . It's . . . Oh, I cannot tell you how long I have waited for this!  It's just . . . I  . . . I need a minute . . . Ok . . . here we go . . .

When I first saw the teaser of the teaser online before the Entertainment Tonight preview I was a little annoyed.  It seemed so . . . Ryan Reynolds.  Don't get me wrong, love me some Ryan Reynolds but I don't wanna see Monty from Waiting as the Green Lantern.  I wanna see Hal Jordan.  Nevertheless I thought they had the look down pretty good.  I reserved judgement till I got to see the whole preview.

So I'm watching the preview with a big ten year old grin on my face (granted I didn't get into green lantern till I was 16 or 17 but ya get the idea).  I was very, very impressed.  That teaser of the teaser did not do the actual preview justice.  It was like reading one line out of a newspaper article and judging the whole thing.

The best parts of the preview were the moments where we got to see Reynolds kinda doubt his calling as a Green Lantern.  When we first see Abin Sur (holy SHIT did he look awesome) he gives him the ring and Hal has this look on his face like, "Why me?"  For me, that fits the character.  It's like any great calling - you would not really want it at first, you would be afraid.  Of course Hal will overcome that fear to be the universe's greatest Green Lantern. 

Gotta say though, the most jaw dropping moment for me was seeing Sinestro.  You get one quick shot of him and he is in a couple of the montages but you have to look closely (and I did!).  He looked AMAZING!  It was like seeing Heath as the Joker again.  Based on the costume it's not quite the comic book look but I have this gut feeling that Mark Strong will rank up there with Hannibal Lecter, Darth Vader, and even the Joker as great movie villains (even if it takes two or three movies to get there). 

Now, onto the downsides.  Blake Lively.  While she is super hot and I would love to see her dressed up as a Star Sapphire, is she serious?  "Hal.  This test today.  It's important."  Sure sounds important there, Ms Fembot.  I have a feeling (based on my years of studying movie previews) that that was a mash up of lines so they sound awkward together.  But I can't help but feel like she may have been a bad choice.  Sure she has the look (good God does she have the look) but is she a good actor?  Only time will tell.

Another thing that kinda bothered me is the CGI costume.  Granted I was pretty sure it was gonna look bad.  I mean, it's a fricken CGI costume on a live actor!  It's like the clone uniforms in Episode III with Temeura (spell?) Morrison's head.  You can tell it's fake.  I get the logic.  It needs to look like a construct.  So granted, yes it should look a little fake.  But still, couldn't we have hired a better CG effects house Warner Bros?  You only sank what, 150 mil into this project?  Oh well, I'm sure I will be over it by the time the movie comes out.  Unlike most fans, I don't complain about the things I love.  So take that all you "purists".

All in all I award the trailer 9 rings out of 10.  This movie is gonna be fucking incredible and I'm counting down the days.  Now we just need previews for all the other shit next year:

Thor

Captain America: the First Avenger

Transformers: Dark of the Moon (retarded title by the way)

X-Men: First Class

Am I forgetting anything?

No comments:

Post a Comment